Sunday, March 23, 2008

I Am Starting To Think....

Why would you buy a new car? Seriously....let someone else take that big hit of driving the car off the lot.

As my previous post mentioned I just purchased a two year old vehicle with 23K on it. I purchased an extended warranty to 100K and my car payment went DOWN a little over 100 dollars WITH the warranty.

Well you bought a cheaper car than what you had.....um...NO is the answer to that one.

I don't know why it took me this long to figure this out...slow I guess.

My motto from now on....look for a year to 2 year old vehicle and buy an extended warranty.

By buying the vehicle we got used we saved on average I figured 15k on the sticker price of the car. New versions of our vehicle start in the "holy crap" range of my budget and go UP from there.

Then I started to think about my family. My sister has been buying cars like this for about 6 years. My parents did it with their last car purchase. My brother in law did it with both of the vehicles he and his wife are driving. My father in law will ONLY buy cars this way.

I guess I am the slow one in the family. The important thing is I figured it out right?

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

You buy a new car when you are frugal and cheap like me. We were looking at 20,000 mile 2007 Sebrings and without purchasing an extended warranty we were only about $20 cheaper per month than the new car we just bought AND it has a 100,000 extended warranty.

My truck, 2007 Silverado was the last of that model and listed for $22,600. With my GM discount and an additional employee rebate of $1000 I purchased it for $14,000. ALMOST $9000 grand off list.

Our 2008 Pontiac GT V6 G6(sounding special ed almost). We received a little over $8,000 off list as well. The payment on it per month is only $25 more than what we paid on our basic Neon. WOW.

Financial expert Dave Ramsey says to buy cars that you can pay cash for. Guess we got rid of that one!