Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice by HuffJackie

So M'Kirsten and Caroline went to see "Beauty and the Beast" at the Winspear. Mom and I decided to spend the Mom-and-Son time by going to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice at the Studio Movie Grill. We got there a little early, but didn't have to wait too long. My mom had never been to the movie theater grill, so it was fun showing her the ropes.

The food was fine. She ordered the chicken quesadillas, but there were too many peppers and so I didn't eat much. The best part of it were the chips and hot sauce. They came with the quesadillas (go figure). I had a Dr. Pepper and my mom had a Diet Dr. Pepper. She let me get as many refills as I wanted (for the price we paid for the drinks, according to her, I could have as many as I wanted. )

The movie started with the previews and there's one I'm really looking forward to now, but that's another blog. When the movie started I was really excited. My mom had given me some things to look for during the movie (always the teacher)so that I could review the movie afterwards. So I'll go down the list she gave me:

*Bad guys - He was funny. You knew he was bad because he did mean things. He's the same guy that was in Prince of Persia (the ostrich guy). He was a very convincing bad guy. He had the apperance of being a very "cultured (as my mom said)" look and spoke good. He didn't talk like his apprentice, and he required everyone else to speak correctly as well. I think this is what made him a good bad guy. You know, he could be very nice but then next minute kill somebody. It was very unexpected. SPOILER ALERT(my mom made me put this in): I'm not very sure if he got away in the end or was killed. The way they ended it made it possible, based on if the bad guy lived or died, for another movie. So I'd give the bad guy (who really was just a helper of the main bad girl--but you didn't see her at all except for the beginning and the very end).

Main good characters: There are several so here it goes:

*Balthazaar - I liked him because he was funny in not a clown way. He could do some really cool magic and his main job was to train the "Prime Merlinian". Turns out to be this geeky guy who's in love with this pretty blond girl. He meets the kid when the kid's ten, but things got scary really fast and Balthazaar and the bad guy got trapped for 10 years. He was funny, but took his job seriously.

*David (Dave) was the Sorcerer's apprentice (the Prime Merlinian). He was geeky and kids made fun of him. He liked this girl named Becky. He ended up being a science major (I didn't recognize the type of physics he was in to, but my mom said it's kind of higher stuff). He decides to train to be a sorcerer because he realizes it's what he's supposed to do and if he doesn't the world will end as he knows it (why does it always have to be that bad in the movies?). Anyway, he trains and the whole point is that he can do magic only with the ring of Merlin on until he becomes the true "Prime Merlinian" and then he can do the magic without it.

*We'll call her the "Love Interest". I hope I don't get as sappy about girls as this guy was about Becky. She was a really cool girl. She looked past his geekyness to see what was inside. She gave him a chance and was open to his Sorcerer gig (plus he was smart in physics which she was not). She was really good and strong (not physically but mentally).

Lesson learned: I think, after talking to mom that there were several lessons. 1) If you believe in yourself you can do just about whatever. It may be hard, and it may be hard to understand, but if you believe in yourself you can do it. I learned that from the main character. 2) You can do anything you set your mind to. With the "end of the world as we know it" on the line, Becky got over her fear of heights to help Dave defeat Morgana. That took some guts.

Grade: I'd give it an A-. It should have gotten a B+ on Jack Huffman's scale of movies. They kissed 3 times. Balthazaar and Victoria kissed once (it was kinda long) and then BOOM! right after that Dave and Becky kissed--Twice! That moved it to a B+. It did move up on the scale because the effects were AWESOME! I wish I could change my car into a different one, that was cool. The really cool magic that kept showing up was the metal eagle that came from the Empire State building. That was kind of a funny touch through the whole movie. Just when you didn't expect it, the bird would show up.

I would recommend it to just about anyone. I think Caroline would have enjoyed the movie, but it was kind of scary at the beginning.

I liked it, despite the kissing.

2 comments:

The MAN Fan Club said...

I liked the movie, although I don't remember all that kissing. It was 2 weeks ago. B+

MJP & SJP said...

Great review!